Neymar trial: the prosecution is asking for the freedom of the PSG player

New episode of Neymar’s trial, which began on October 17. On Friday, the prosecutor of the Barcelona Prosecutor’s Office announced ” withdraw the accusation against all the accused and for all the facts” of which they are accused. The prosecution initially asked for 2 years in prison and a fine of 10 million euros against the Brazilian star.

At issue: alleged irregularities found during the transfer of Neymar to Barcelona in 2013, while he was playing for Santos, in the Brazilian championship. Announced in Catalonia in May 2013 for an official amount of 51.7 million euros, the transfer of the current PSG player has raised questions, to the point of alerting the Spanish tax authorities, who consider that the transfer has , in reality, around 107 million euros. including bonuses.

Sandro Rosell, the main accused in the trial for the alleged crime of fraud in the transfer of Neymar from Santos to Barça, was in charge this Friday. A scheduled time when five years in prison, the harshest sentence of this trial, had been sought against him. Visibly scarred, the former FC Barcelona president reiterated his position: there was no fraud against DIS, the company that owned 40% of Neymar’s rights when he moved from Santos to Barça in 2013. The 40 M (paid by Barça to Neymar’s family, editor’s note)they are not a bribe but a transfer bonus he hammered Josep Maria Bartomeu, his right arm questioned shortly after, went further stating ” not having met a company called DIS “. Speeches joined by those of the other defendants and experts that caused a dramatic change.

After initially asking for prison terms for all the defendants in the case except Josep Maria Bartomeu, the Spanish prosecutor’s office changed its mind and asked for freedom for all. The Neymar clan, absent from the debates but expected by video conference next Monday, could therefore emerge unscathed from the DIS accusation. In addition, in the end no financial sanction was claimed for the companies subject to this complaint: FC Barcelona, ​​​​Santos FC and the company Neymar N&N.

Verdict Monday

DIS still says it is misled in this case and maintains its accusations against all the defendants, with the exception of Nadine Gonçalves, Neymar’s mother, who has already been fired. The public ministry, for its part, considers that the signed contracts did not harm DIS. The decision is now in the hands of the president of the court, who will decide whether or not to follow the opinion of the prosecution.

Last week, Neymar and his father took turns at the helm, declaring that they had opted for Barça for reasons “of the heart”. Josep Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell, sitting next to each other in the dock, were visibly pleased at the end of Friday’s hearing, exchanging a few words with a smile. Next Monday, the defendants will be able to speak again before sentencing.

Asked on October 18 about his involvement in these alleged embezzlements, Neymar defended himself by saying that “he signed everything his father told him to sign”.

In a press release, his communications company reacted by welcoming this case. “definitely closed” almost ten years after the transfer in question.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *